As the popularity of mobile telephones increases, the need for old-fashioned telephone booths has decreased. But resourceful planners in Madrid have found a way to recycle those outdated booths of days-gone-by with an eco-friendly makeover. The booths will be used as recharging stations for electrical vehicles.
Since most “telephone boxes” are conveniently located next to roadways and already have a built-in electrical supply, adapting the booths into EV charging points is a relatively simple process. 30 of the relics in and around Madrid will be converted.
As part of the MOVELE Project, the Spanish government will spend over $2 million to build over 500 public recharging stations over the next two years in Madrid, Seville and Barcelona. Specifically, 75 charge spots will be located in Seville, 280 in Madrid and 191 in Barcelona. Barcelona has reportedly inked a deal with Endesa (MCE:ELE) electricity to install recharging points on intelligent lampposts.
Some of the goals of the MOVELE pilot project, managed by the Institute for Diversification and Saving of Energy (IDEA), include:
- Introducing 2,000 electric vehicles into urban areas over the next two years.
- Providing various tax incentives for EV purchases.
- Providing accessible charging points.
- Assessing both the positive and negative aspects of electric mobility alternatives.
- Involving the private sector – insurance companies, electrical companies, etc.
- Providing information of energy results under real use conditions.
- Giving Spain several years of hands-on experience in using electric mobility technologies.
In order to promote the use of electrical vehicles, Madrid Mayor Alberto Ruiz-Gallardon said EV owners will reap numerous benefits by switching to electrical, including free electric charges for a period of time, free citywide parking and a 75 percent reduction in vehicle tax.
By utilizing existing infrastructure that is no longer used, the recycled charging stations provide a cost-effective and eco-friendly alternative.
Phone booth photo via Lize Rixt
Any opinion contained in this article is solely that of the writers, and does not necessarily shape or reflect the editorial opinions of Energy Boom. Energy Boom content is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be advice regarding the investment merits of, or a recommendation regarding the purchase or sale of, any security identified on, or linked through, this site.